|BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
The American Federation of Musicians of the United States and Canada is the largest organization in the world dedicated to representing the interests of professional musicians. As an AFM member, you are part of a membership of more than 90,000 musicians. The AFM can negotiate agreements and administer contracts, procure valuable benefits and achieve legislative goals. No single musician has that power.
The AFM has a long history of service for musicians in the United States and Canada. Becoming a member of the AFM means that you become part of an organization with more than 100 years of experience in improving the lives of working musicians, and thousands of years of collective experience!
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington, DC and Toronto, in addition to a network of more than 240 local unions in small and large cities throughout the United States and Canada, the AFM is everywhere you are. We have negotiated high-quality consumer benefits and services for you and your family, and have a professional staff to assist you with your professional needs.
Here are just a few of the benefits and services you are entitled to as an AFM member:
- Contracts/collective bargaining: The AFM negotiates wages and working conditions in order to maintain minimum standards for its members involved in recording, TV shows, music videos, commercials, films, video games and traveling theatrical productions. The AFM also can provide a legally binding contract for any type of engagement, and when properly executed and filed with the local union, they allow the local officer to help collect payments in the case of a default.
- Pension and Health: AFM members may earn credits toward retirement and, under certain conditions, health care each time they work. The AFM pension plan allows contributions for all working AFM members.
- Insurance Programs You Can Rely On: The AFM is here to protect you and your valuable instruments by offering a number of low-cost options.
- Referral Programs/GoPro. The AFM provides a host of referral programs and access to licensed signatory booking agents to help, including:
- www.GoProMusic.com - List your band on the AFM live music referral site.
- www.GoProLessons.com - List your services on the AFM music instructor referral service. This online resource enables consumers to easily locate and engage AFM member music instructors.
- www.GoProHosting.com - Professional web hosting services to help you develop the perfect web site.
- www.GoProAuction.com - Buy or sell the perfect instrument.
- Subscription to International Musician. Stay informed with a free subscription to the AFM’s award winning monthly magazine, International Musician. In addition to fascinating interviews with some of the industry’s top names, each issue of the International Musician has news and information you need, industry employment and audition advertisements, and useful career advice.
And much more…
Click here to
(a new window will open)